I got up and took the boys to the school I work at for the 7th grade boys football game this morning at 8:30AM. Ridiculous hour for a football game, but not surprisingly, we didn't have much problem getting there on time :) We stayed almost 90 minutes which was about as long as they could last, daddy catching frogs was the most entertainment they got out of it all! Alas, we came home, and as I was pitching some empty cups in the trash can I discovered the marble chess set that had been given to me by a teacher at my last school. Turns out, Ezra had gotten near it and knocked it off the shelf it was on, breaking the board and many of the little "men."
After venting my frustration for a few minutes to no-one in particular but to everyone who happened to be around, I sat down and read a bit. Reading a book called The Shack right now, which my dad read to my mom while she was recovering from surgery a few months ago, and which they bought for all five of their kids in hopes we'd love it like they did.
At any rate, I have to say, one of the negatives about having 4 boys is that things just get broken. They love to see how much something can take before it breaks, or sometimes they just like to have mangled toys, like poor Billy Blazes, who lost one leg accidentally and recently had his other leg amputated for Sol and Thad's "enjoyment." At any rate, as I look back on my chess set, I remember that it's just a chess set, with little monetary value and not even close to as much importance in my life as each of those little boys who seem to take turns breaking my "stuff." It's just stuff.
I'm loving The Shack. Almost done with it. You should read it...
5 comments:
I'm so sorry that your pretty chess set is broken! You are right, the boys are rough on things, and on themselves. I find that to be true here, too. The girls are more emotional, though, and there's no simple solution to that.
What in the world is "The Shack" about? Just about everyone I know is reading it or had read it. I have no clue.
One of the things the kids in Honduras taught me this week was that things aren't that important. You would think that with next to nothing, they would protect the stuff they had. No. Apparently nothing lasts very long there. But they are content just to hang out, and play with each other. Hopefully I can remember that lesson after I get home.
Thanks for the post. I'll have to check into reading "The Shack".
Just finished The Shack on Friday; begged Dave to start reading last night...wow...
now I need to start processing what I read & absorbed & struggled with.
Thanks for sharing your heart today.
~Sonya
Boy do I feel your pain on that one!
Seems to be something inside that just desires to destroy - and even when it isn't intentional it sure feels like it is.
Dave
I loved the Shack too. I loaned it out - I hope I get it back so I can read it again!!
Post a Comment