Tuesday, July 28, 2009

No Idea How To Title This

It's been a week and ten days since I said the final goodbye in this life to my mom. I don't want to dwell on it too much on here, this blog isn't meant to be my personal journal, and I know you all don't want to read that stuff anyway, but I wanted to mention something. A lot of people don't seem to know what to say to me about it. I know it makes a lot of people really uncomfortable, and they don't bring it up at all. I just want you to know that when people lose someone special and important to them, it's okay to bring it up and talk to them about it, or at least give them the opportunity to talk about it, even a little. I have gotten lots of "I'm sorry for your loss," and I appreciate those. Most of the time I say thanks and acknowledge that it was a hard summer for me, seldom do I say more. The people that get more are ones I can tell really want to know how I'm doing, and I'm okay with saying more. One of the hardest things is that I had this huge thing in my life happen this summer, and people don't ask about it. We're buying a house this fall, and everyone wants to know about that, but it pales in my mind compared to losing my mom.
I don't want this to make people feel guilty, just to let you in on how grief sometimes works, and let you know that it's okay to talk to someone who's lost someone special and acknowledge that it hurts. Don't shy away, and don't think you'll hurt me by bringing it up, I love my mom and I love talking about her, even though it hurts and I might cry. That's ok.
I will end this with a quote from a card I got from a good friend, who didn't know what to say but took the chance and it really meant a lot to me.
"Dustin, I have tried to think of the right thing to say about what you are going through and the reality is I have no idea. What I do know is that it hurts and you are missing one of the most wonderful people in the world. If you ever need to talk let me know. I've been praying for you and will continue to." Thanks Kevin.

No comments: